When I visited this website, I noticed that the site itself is very inviting. It is clearly labeled and it is easy to navigate between the tabs. The mission of the Partnership for 21st Century Skills is to build a partnership among education, business, community, and government leaders. The partnership wants to close the gap between what skills students are learning in school and the skills that they will need to be successful in the business world. I think this is a great thing, however, I'm not sure how exactly they will accomplish this. I was surprised to see that only 10 states are participating in this initiative. It seems that there is a lot of work that has to go in to becoming a part of this partnership. In order for your state to get involved: " a state demonstrates commitment from the governor and chief state school officer and submits an application to P21 that describes the state’s plan to revise standards, create assessments and implement 21st century skills professional development programs." (www.21stcenturyskills.org) This seems like a lot of work. I am surprised that larger states such as New York, California, and Texas are not participating in this partnership. I'm curious as to why.
I didn't really find the resources very helpful on this site. The site has a link to the Mile Guide, but there
really aren't any lesson ideas found on the site. This would be something that would be helpful to me. If
they would list the skills that they are trying to promote and give an example of ways to accomplish this in
the classroom. I think the site is set up more to inform people about the partnership, but not really how to
implement it. I would like to see how these states are teaching these skills in the classroom, and see
opinions of how the teachers and students feel about it. I think the partnership has good intentions, but I just
don't know how long it will be before more states get involved. I think I will do my best to incorporate 21st
century skills on my own for now.
You might be able to find some things that are more helpful if you choose tools and resources and then publications. I found the skills maps and literacy maps to have some suggestions for ways to engage students while addressing some of the 21st century standards.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that this seems more like an overview of what is to come. It seemed to me that so far they have only created a list of goals for creating assessments and lessons that will teach the 21st century skills. Who is going to do all that work?
Hi Lindsay,
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your honesty! I also had trouble finding specific information pertianing to lessons and ideas to implement this. I think you are on the right track, that districts and states would need to subscribe and join in order to gain access to materials. I also wonder if the lack of curriculum ideas is due to the ever changing world of technology. At any moment things change as new information develops.