BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, November 30, 2009

Connectivism and Social Learning in Practice

According to Dr. Orey in the course DVD, social constructivism involves collaborative learning and students working together to construct an artifact of their learning. I think that this learning theory goes along with the strategy of cooperative learning discussed in Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works. Cooperative learning "focuses on having students interact with each other in groups in ways that enhance their learning" (Pitler, Hubbell, Kunh & Malenoski, 2007,p.139). I think that cooperative learning is a wonderful way to get students actively involved in their learning. It lets them have a sense of ownership and it can also build their social skills which is important for when they move into the real world.

I think that the various strategies in the course text follow along with the social learning theories of having students work together and create artifacts of their knowledge. Creating a video as a group allows students to transfer their knowledge onto the "big screen". They can showcase what they have learned and possibly other talents that they may possess. Through working together and actually putting the information on tape for others to see increases the students' knowledge on the subject area. I can remember completing a video project in a high school English class. The fact that we were collaborating with others and recording our findings really helped me to understand the information we were covering much better than if I had sat through a lecture by my teacher.

Several web related activities were listed that involve students working collaboratively on a topic. I enjoyed the idea of having an online pen pals. I think that this would be a great way to extend the students' knowledge. Not only would they be learning from members of their own class, but from members of other classes around the world. This would be a wonderful way to view different perspectives on various topics.
Webquests were also discussed in this chapter. I utilize webquests in my room as a cooperative learning activity already. I separate my students in to mixed ability groups and allow them to complete webquests together. At the completion of the webquest, I usually have them present their findings to the class in the form of a poster. I could utilize technology in this lesson by having the students create a PowerPoint or blog about the information they have learned.

I also enjoyed reading about the simulation games. I have never participated in one of these games or seen them in action, but they seem like they would capture the students' attention and make them eager to learn. I like the fact that they are interacting with others in real time over the internet. The Revolution game discussed in this chapter seems like it would be a very effective way of having students interact and learn about this historical event as well. I wish that I had gotten to participate in the activities when I was in school. I'm sure that it would have made the information much clearer in my mind.

1 comment:

  1. I also thought the Revolution game looked really interesting! I can't wait to use it with my students when we study the American Revolution this year!

    ReplyDelete