BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, November 16, 2009

Cognitivism in Practice

Cognitive Learning Theory revolves around information processing. Dr. Orey stated that integrating multiple senses improves learning, and he also said that people can remember images better than just text. He said that long term memories are stored in networks and to move information into long term memory you must create connections with information you already have.
In Chapter 4 of Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works, cues, questions, and advanced organizers were discussed. I believe that these three strategies go along with the cognitive learning theory. Both cues and questions are used to provide reminders or trigger memories to access prior knowledge about the information about to be learned. The advanced organizers then allow the students to focus their information. This chapter provided several programs that could be used to create these advanced organizers. All of the different programs could easily be used in the classroom. It would just be a matter of deciding which one works best for you and your students. They discuss word processing applications, spreadsheet software, and organizing and brainstorming software. Kidspiration was a tool that they discussed in this chapter and one that we have access to at school. I think this program is great to use with my younger students. It allows them to create concept maps about any topic. The students are able to create the organizers digitally and save their responses, or they can create a blank organizer and complete them by hand. These organizers are very helpful when helping students access prior knowledge and organize the new information that they are learning.

Chapter 6 of Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works discussed the topics of summarizing and note taking. These are important concepts that go along with the cognitive theory as well. These strategies allow the students to gather information, separate the important facts, and restate them in their own words. By doing this, the students are participating in higher-order thinking skills because they are synthesizing information. I enjoyed learning about the "Track Changes" feature on Word that allows you to see any changes that are made onto a paper. I also found it interesting to learn about the Auto Summarize tool. I think that this is a great feature. Many times summarizing is difficult for younger students. I think that it would be so helpful to type in a passage and then use this feature to find the summary. This way they can see if what they think are important facts, actually are things worth keeping in a summary. The combination note model was also something new that I really enjoyed. I think that this would work well with my students when learning new concepts. It allows them to use multiple senses in their learning. Not only are they taking notes on a topic, but they are including pictures and a summary. This is a wonderful way to really embed this information in their memory.

Wikis and blogs were also discussed in this chapter and I think that they are great tools to use for summarizing and note taking. Groups can work together to edit information and they can also post questions to each other with will require some higher order thinking to take place.

Finally virtual field trips were discussed in this week's resources. I have never used these in my classroom, but they are something that I plan to use. I think that it is wonderful to be able to visit places you may not normally get to experience otherwise. Many of the students in my school have never been to museums or plays. They do not have background knowledge that other children may have in order to help them understand different concepts. By being able to take these virtual field trips, they will be able to expand their background knowledge. This will aide in building networks that will eventually help move information into long term memory.

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's funny that several of us are so amazed by the summarizing and track changes tool in Word! I had never heard of either of them, but really wish we could use the summarizing tool on TCAP!
    I also like the idea of using Kidspiration. I know that associating ideas with pictures helps me to remember information, so I think it's a great way for the kids to organize and store information about topics they aren't use to relating to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have used blogs with my students to summarize information they have read or to tell how they view certain topics. My students really enjoy blogging. They think that it is amazing how their words can be viewed by anyone on the web.

    To make this an even greater success, I think that Kidspiration would be a wonderful tool to use in the classroom or even the Auto Summarize tool in Word. My students can place their thoughts into concept maps or even type their summaries into word to make certain that they are only getting the most important information. Many times my third graders have a difficult time putting their feelings into words and I this will help them organize all the information that is being processed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie,
    I agree that most elementary age students have a hard time with summarizing. I think it would be great to use the Auto Summarize tool in order for the students to see what an actual summary looks like. Hopefully after using this tool a few times, they will begin to see how a summary should look and what information it should contain. They they will begin to be able to create them on their own without help from this tool.

    ReplyDelete